Cultivate your curves; they may be dangerous but they won't be avoided.

- Miss Mae West -

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Overnight Oatmeal aka Greatness in a jar!

Strawberrry, blueberry banana with flax seed
So this originally sounded kind of gross to me...I mean cold oatmeal??  

But I gave it a shot for a quick on the go breakfast situation.  So glad I did, its delicious, healthy and easy to grab and head out on the days you might be running late.

What you need::
  • 1/2C dry oatmeal- best to not use the instant kind
  • 1/4 C yogurt- I've been using low fat vanilla 
  • 1/3 C milk - I ususally go with vanilla soy or almond
  • 1 Tbsp honey
  • Dash of Cinnamon
  • 1 and a half Tbsp ground flax seed or chia seeds**- Optional but great way to add in a bit more healthy stuff; definitely play around with your milk amounts when adding these, they can make things a little too dry
  • Fruit! - any combo you like. I've had some great turnouts with blueberry and strawberry, banana is also great to add!
What you do::
  • Put all ingredients, yes the fruit too, in a jar or tupperware(I use the mason jars for convenience-easy to eat out of while walking)
  • Seal/Lid
  • Shake or stir to mix it all up
  • Pop it in the fridge overnight
  • In the morning grab it and eat it or like me let it warm up a bit on the counter or if i'm in a hurry pop in the microwave for about 10  seconds just to knock out some of the chill.
  • Enjoy!
Other really tasty mixes: Blueberry banana-topped with chopped walnuts in the morning; Peach blackberry; Cherry-add a bit of vanilla extract in with this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment